Vacancy Expert Protein Expression – Ghent
The growing demand for healthy, safe, and sustainable food has increasingly imposed restrictions on agricultural practices. Therefore, improving food production efficiency in a sustainable way, while safeguarding the environment and its natural resources, is essential.
Biotalys has the ambition to transform food protection, shaping the future of sustainable and safe food supply. They are a rapidly growing and transformative food and crop protection company developing a new generation of protein-based biocontrol solutions. Based on their ground-breaking technology platform, they have developed a broad pipeline of effective and safe products with novel modes of action, addressing key crop pests and diseases across the whole value chain, from soil to plate. Biotalys’s products combine the high-performance characteristics of chemicals with the clean safety profile of biologicals, making them ideal crop protection agents for both pre- and post-harvest applications.
Biotalys is looking for an Expert Protein Expression, to strengthen their valuable team of dedicated employees. Their headquarters are located in the vibrant biotech cluster in Ghent, Belgium.
To strengthen the manufacturing team, Biotalys is looking for an Expert Protein Expression who will guide the strain engineering and process development teams in order to further build, establish and validate Biotalys’s protein expression platform. They are looking for a passionate colleague, with in depth expertise and knowledge in molecular biology and heterologous protein expression using a broad range of microorganisms. You will leverage your advanced experience to offer significant scientific and technical leadership across the company (R&D/ development/manufacturing). This is a critical function within the organisation, in order to further build and validate our microbial expression platforms.
- Provide operational and strategic guidance in design and implementation of strategies to increase protein production efficiency of AGROBODY™ biocontrols in a broad range of microbial hosts (yeast, fungi or any other suitable host organism for application in crop and food protection) across the multiple strain engineering platforms and process development streams
- Lead technology projects within the manufacturing team for expression optimisation of selected production strains and for development of a stable and scalable production process
- Complement the in-house expertise with assessing and accessing enabling technologies through a diverse network of experts and technology companies to enhance the production efficiency of AGROBODY™ biocontrols, advance technology readiness level, and early de-risking the selected approach
- Guide the team with the “begin with the end in mind” principle, working closely with colleagues in discovery, and product manufacturing including formulation, upscaling, and contract manufacturing
- Contribute to further build a strong team having all the know-how, expertise, as well as access to state-of-the-art technology to be successful in the goal to produce AGROBODY™ biocontrols at scale and market-tuned COGS
- Drive development of functional excellence within the team
- Create competitive advantage through identification of new IP supporting the entire platform
- Support resource management including recruitment, training, and continuous development of (senior) scientists and researchers
What are we looking for?
- PhD or MSc in biology, molecular biology, biotechnology, (bio)chemistry, bio(chemical)-engineer, or related field
- At least 10 years of relevant industry experience
- Proven track record of successful expert leadership in recombinant protein production
- Expertise in genetics, gene regulation and physiology of different host organisms used for protein expression (yeast & filamentous fungi)
- Experience in novel gene editing strategies to optimise microbial strains for efficient secretion of proteins
- Significant expertise in developing upstream and downstream processes for heterologous expression of proteins using different host organisms is of major importance
- Ability to assist engineers and scientists as needed in a rapidly changing environment
- Able to collaborate effectively across organisational and functional boundaries (matrix organisation), and complement internal expertise with knowledge of the external technologies landscape
- Ability to build strong networks
- Excellent ability to interact with a team of highly qualified technology professionals
- High sense of quality, accuracy and detail
- Capable of thinking out-of-the-box and being open-minded
- Ability to oversee multiple, simultaneous projects and to meet deadlines for delivery of the projects
- Being passionate and having a positive mindset
- Good reporting and communication skills (fluency in written and spoken English)
Biotalys can offer you:
Teamwork, innovation, passion, well-being and accountability are the Biotalys values that guide our business and that we prize when we recruit new talent and reward our employees. We strive to create an exciting and dynamic working environment in which you will be challenged to take initiative, contributing to the success of the company. You will work in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team of top innovators in the AgFood biotech industry who will support you to further develop and grow your personal skills. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary and benefits package.
If you are interested in this job, or in similar ones, please feel free to contact me directly.
Jamie van den Ban
Associate | Food (Sciences)
+31(0)6-82 66 54 05
+31(0)23-75 486 60