Vacancy Food Science Technologist – Delft
For Meatable, an organisation that is on a mission to make 100% real, delicious meat, without the negative impact on our climate and the need to raise and slaughter animals, I am looking for an experienced Food Science Technologist.
The Meatable approach for creating ‘cell-based’ meat is based on ground-breaking proprietary technology that was developed at The University of Cambridge and allows them to turn induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) into muscle and fat cells. This technology allows them to create 100% real, delicious, guilt-free meat. They use iPSCs because they have amazing benefits that enable affordable, large-scale production (e.g. due to the fact that these cells are pluripotent, grow completely serum free, have unlimited proliferation capacity and can grow in suspension). With their technology, scalable cell-based meat production is becoming a reality. Meatable is a young and fast-growing company that is entering their next wave of growth. Given their size, new team members will have a critical role to play in the motivated multidisciplinary team. Their culture encourages everybody on the team to actively shape their position and they provide ample opportunities for personal and professional growth.
As the Food Science Technologist, you will strengthen the organisation, and join the team as an expert with a key responsibility in the further development of their products. In the team, you will play a vital role to make sure their products will be identical and indistinguishable to traditional meat. Your research will focus on creating the experience of meat, in all its aspects (texture, flavour, mouthfeel, baking performance, nutritional content etc) without the need to raise and slaughter animals. You main focus will lie on the improvement of taste, colour, and texture of the products. In that role you will spend the majority of your time hands on in their research and development facility, performing procedures to characterise their products and compare its functionality with meat products using various analytical procedures and bringing innovations to increase product performance.
As the company is rapidly growing they are looking for people whom get excited from collaborating in a multidisciplinary team. If you excel in driving a cutting edge research culture and love to share ideas and knowledge which will drive their products to the next level, you are the person we are looking for! Ideally you would have an aptitude for biology/ biotechnology while being an expert in nutrition, flavour, texture and colour. In this role, you will focus on but not be limited to:
- Develop and optimise the products
- Design, coordinate and conduct sensory studies
- Facilitate prototype development and participate in the conception and development of new prototypes
- Analytically characterise product (concepts), interpret data, design follow up work plans and report progress
- Collaborate cross-functionally with scientists, engineers, and culinary experts
- Document and optimise experimental procedures and work processes
- Execute product development trials with external customers/partners
- Identify the market trends and customer needs to translate in new products
- MSc or PhD degree in Food technology, Food / Organic Chemistry or related areas
- 3 to 5 years working experience within the field of meat(free) products
- Proven track record in texture and nutrition related product development
- Strong affinity with/knowledge of developing and optimising reaction flavours (maillard reaction)
- Proven experience in sensory trials is considered a strong plus
- Experience in managing complex research projects
- Good command of English
It is a team that continually improves their self and their business. You will be working in a focused creative office/lab, surrounded by other food scientists. The organisation is very flat and has a dynamic work environment in a new exciting field using cutting edge technologies and working with the leaders in the field. There are a lot of opportunities and a caring culture with strong emphasis on team performance and personal development. The organisation offers you:
- Experience based salary, starting from €50,000,-
- Be part of a developing startup organisation
- Holiday allowance of 8%
- Participation in the employee stock option plan
- Strong focus on personal performance and development
If you are interested in this job, please feel free to contact me directly.
Associate | Food (Sciences)