Vacancy Senior Production Technologist – Delft
This company is on a mission to make 100% real, delicious meat, without the negative impact on our climate and the need to raise and slaughter animals, and they are looking for a Senior Production Technologist. Their approach for creating cell-based meat is based on ground-breaking proprietary technology that was developed at the University of Cambridge. This technology allows them to turn induced pluripotent stem cells iPSCs into muscle- and fat cells, creating 100% real, delicious, guilt free meat. They use iPSCs because they have amazing benefits that enable affordable, at scale production (e.g. they are pluripotent, grow completely serum free, have unlimited proliferation capacity and can grow in suspension). With this technology, scalable cell-based meat production is becoming a reality.
The company is a young and fast-growing company and is entering the next wave of growth. Given its size, new team members will be a huge part of its motivated multidisciplinary team. Their culture encourages everybody on the team to actively shape their position and they provide ample opportunities for personal and professional growth.
As Senior Production Technologist, you will be responsible for the end-to-end design and development of their small-scale production facility. Excitingly, this is only the first part of the process. For the second part, you will be responsible for ensuring that the small-scale production facility will be set-up for a successful and cost-effective upscale process to a commercial scale facility.
This company currently is in the R&D phase and perfecting its production process. In order to ensure the two-step upscaling process to a small-scale production at first and a commercial-scale facility in the end, they are looking for an expert who will work in the R&D team.
As Senior Production Technologist you will:
- Be responsible for the end-to-end design and develop the small-scale meat production facility
- Ensure all processes developed in R&D phase can scale to industry scale
- Make cost estimations and ensure a cost-effective large-scale facility
- Ensure the facility complies with relevant regulations and protocols and operate small scale unit
The role will start off as an independent role where you will be part of the R&D team. As the company moves towards larger production the team will expand significantly, and their goal is that you will be leading this team. With your input, the company can fulfil its mission of making delicious, 100% real meat without hurting the climate and animals.
The company’s ideal Senior Production Technologist has:
- A MSc or PhD in Bioprocess Technology (or similar)
- 10+ years’ industry experience with designing and developing small- and large-scale microbial processes, ideally in both food and pharma
- Seen product development cycles and scale up of production processes up to manufacturing for several products and has overseen critical aspects
- Extensive experience with cost estimations (e.g., equipment, raw materials, etc), can calculate mass balances and operational costs
- Experience with scaling up production of mammalian cell lines strongly preferred
- Love for process design and engineering (ie, loves hands-on design and development)
- A strong ‘out-of-the-box’ design mindset and is a divergent thinker, as parts of the process have never been realised to date
Apart from having the opportunity to be responsible for the upscaling processes and the accompanying personal development and growth possibilities, the company offers:
- A maximum salary of €130,000.- depending on your experience
- Equity within a fast-growing company
- Lead the industry in development of guilt free meat
- Opportunity to work at a highly innovative company
- Working in a team of industry leading specialists with a strong emphasis on team performance and personal development
If you are interested in this job, or in similar ones, please feel free to contact me directly.
Jamie van den Ban
Associate Consultant | Food (Science)
+31(0)6-82 66 54 05